Re: Retrieving standard deviation values while using collective variables (ABF)

From: Jerome Henin (jhenin_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 09:04:19 CST

Yes, the system force is an instantaneous quantity, it is output as a
function of time. What you say is precisely what makes the error
analysis particularly complex. The data used to compute the estimate
in a given bin is a combination of multiple blocks of data, which were
collected each time the coordinate visited that particular bin. So the
problem it to do a time correlation analysis on a time series that
consists of little contiguous pieces with gaps inbetween (when the
colvar was in other bins).

One possibility is to merge all these little series into one, and
analyze correlations within this large series. In practice, you'd do
that by matching the force trajectory and the colvar trajectory
(that's the info you're missing, from what you wrote), and sorting the
force data depending on what bin the colvar was visiting at the time
it was collected.

Otherwise, you'd have to formulate assumptions on the nature of
correlations. It is tempting to assume that successive visits of the
bin are decorrelated, but that's unlikely to be true.

Yet another approach is to run a separate simulation for the sole
purpose of studying time correlations. In that kind of simulation, the
colvar can be confined to just one bin, so that a single, contiguous
time-series is obtained.

I warned you it was somewhat complex. The truth is, error analysis in
biomolecular free energy calculations is never simple. When it is,
it's wrong.

You should also look at this paper (if you haven't already):
http://link.aip.org/link/?JCPSA6/120/3563/1

and our 2004 paper, which references it and adds some details.

Best,
Jerome