NAMD 2.7b1 ABF + free energy windows

From: Reichert, David (reichertd_at_mir.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 29 2009 - 15:33:48 CDT

Hi,
Hopefully someone can point what I'm missing or the mistake I'm making. I'm using ABF to calculate the free energy of a steroid moving from the center of a lipid bilayer into bulk water over a range of 28 angstroms. I've broken the simulation down into three windows of approximately 10 angstroms over 2 ns, and they've all successfully completed. The sampling could definitely be improved but it's enough for some comparison's I'm looking at. Here's the problem when I plot A(xi) vs Xi for each of these windows, they don't match up. In the overlaps between windows the plots look the same but they're offset on the y-axis in one case by 3 kcal/mol, and in the other by 15 kcal/mol. Am I missing something here, shouldn't the plots match up ?
Thanks in advance,
-david
David E. Reichert, PhD.
Asst. Professor of Radiology

e-mail: reichertd_at_wustl.edu
voice: 314-362-8461
fax: 314-362-9940
web: http://scoobie.wustl.edu/

The material in this message is private and may contain Protected Healthcare Information (PHI). If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender via telephone or return mail.