Re: multiple FEP experiments in one NAMD-FEP run?

From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 18 2009 - 15:42:27 CDT

Hi Sebastian,

if you think about what you're calculating with the FEPs... the free
energy changes that you calculate are properties of *the system*, not
just local properties of one monomer. Any attempts to separate out the
monomers from each other are doomed to failure because they interact
with each other (even if only through long-range electrostatics) and
with their surroundings. You *might* be able to get a first-order
approximation of the free energy changes due to the individual mutations
using the methods you've described, but you'd be making an untested set
of assumptions and risk running into serious troubles if there is any
significant influence of one site on another or the environment as a
whole. If you really can't afford to do all of your FEPs independently,
you should either use a better established approximation or cut down on
the number of mutations you expect to be able to consider.

Best,
Peter