Re: Accessing atoms and velocities during NVE run

From: Chris Harrison (char_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 06 2009 - 15:00:36 CST

Navdeep,

At present there is not a direct way for a user to directly get and
instantaneously modify the velocities on the fly. You could try to
effectively do this by:

1. writing a tclforces script that tracks coordinates, calculates the
effective velocities, and effectively modifies the velocities by applying an
artificial force.

2. Write a script that runs namd 1 timestep, gets the velocities from the
dcd, performs the calculation you want to yield modified velocities for the
atoms, and then re-run namd restarting from the previous run's coordinates
but inputing the modified velocities.

A third option would be to hack the code but you'd be messing with code very
close to the core so frankly I would be rather skeptical of results without
sufficient evidence.

Artificially modifying the velocity on the fly within a timestep will
displace your system from it's current energy surface to a new energy
surface, breaking your ensemble so I'm not sure why you really want to do
this.

C.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733