Dance clubs in Montpellier, France

From: Charles Smith (charlessmithpiano@SBCGLOBAL.NET)
Date: Mon Dec 29 2003 - 08:24:52 CST

    Well, currently I am in Montpellier for the holidays. I and Michele had already
    checked out three dance clubs in this French city and if you want to go to Montpellier
    to go dancing, let me tell you a little about these dance clubs....

    Le Saxo
    Located just before the Mediterraean sea, the dance floor is big enough but the problem is that sometimes it can be slippery, probably due to not having the right amount of silicone on the floor.

    All dances are covered at the Saxo, and unlike the Regent, they have at least two paso
    dobles, because Montpellier is on the edge of Spain.

    Dances are done by a live band, but no rhythm section; the keyboardist does have a drum machine that spits out the rumba, samba, etc.

    La Boca

    This place is better for salsa and merengue. A DJ is used. Dance floor is medium.
    Best Latin music we listened to includes old hits like "La bibillruina" of Juan Luis
    Guerra.

    Has a restuarant adjacent to the dance floor where you can eat first and dance later.

    Note: Avoid going to that place on the weekends because the dance floor is packed
    at that time.

    El Cubanito Cafe

    In the heart of downtown Montpellier, the decor is great because of its Cuban atmosphere; however, the dance floor is petite even though the DJ music as good as
    La Boca. Latin music covers old and the new hits. So it is probably best not to dance there on the weekends.

    Since I am using a European typewriter keyboard, I cannot write too much. I will write

    more about the clubs when I get back in the states on January 8th.

    Dr. Charles Smith

    Former Dancing Illini member and "The Little Lily of Salsa"