Tango Classes Start Next Week

From: Ron Weigel (RonWeigel@aol.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 2002 - 11:16:09 CDT

    You seen the dance with its romance, passion, and beauty. You've been
    captivated by the music. The desire to dance the Argentine tango has arisen
    within you and you can wait no longer to achieve fulfillment. Or maybe you've
    danced tango in the past, loved it, but didn't stay with for whatever
    inexplicable reason, and you desire to recover your lost love.

    Do not despair. These is an solution for your yearning. Susana and I will
    guide you in your journey to embrace the tango. We offer classes at the
    Phillips Recreation Center in downtown Urbana (Springfield & McCullough, one
    block west of Strawberry Fields) that are affordable for a student budget
    ($36 for 6 classes = 9 hrs of instruction). Our classes are designed to
    prepare you for social dancing, and we provide the venue with our semi-weekly
    milongas (tango social dances), also at the Phillips Center.

    Here is our schedule for the Fall Session:

    * MILONGAS: Saturdays 9 PM - 12:30 AM
    - preceded by lessons at 7:30 PM (lesson topics to be announced)
    o Sept 7, Sept 21, Oct 5, Oct 19, Nov 2, Nov 16 (1st and 3rd Saturdays)
    Admission: Milonga $3 / Lesson $5 (includes admission to the milonga)

    * WEEKLY CLASSES (taught by Ron & Susana)
    To register for weekly classes, go to the Phillips Recreation Center (504
    West Stoughton, Urbana) during office hours (8 AM - 6 PM Mon - Fri, 8 AM -
    Noon, Sat) or call 367-1544.

    (1) Fundamentals of Argentine Tango
    Mondays Sept 9 - Oct 14 (6 weeks) [starts Monday after Labor Day]
    8:30 - 10 PM Cost: $36

    This course covers the fundamentals of tango: walking, the cross, forward and
    back ochos, and simple turns. Partner communication and the linking of
    patterns to navigate around the dance floor will be emphasized.

    This course is designed for those with no or limited prior tango experience.
    However, since it provides thorough coverage of tango fundamentals, it is
    also a good review course for those who have not danced tango for a while, or
    those who still desire instruction on tango fundamentals before or while
    progressing to more advanced tango classes.

    (2) Intermediate Argentine Tango
    Wednesdays Sept 4 - Oct 9 (6 weeks) [starts Wednesday of Labor Day week]
    8:30 - 10 PM Cost: $36

    This course emphasizes adornment, navigation, partner communication, and
    musicality. The linking of steps in creating an improvised dance will be a
    primary goal in instruction. Patterns taught will vary with each offering.

    This session the emphasis will be 'Tango Spice', i.e. adding elements to
    walking, ochos, and turns that spice up the dance, including ganchos, boleos,
    paradas, arrastres, sacadas, calesitas, and other decorative elements.
    Placement of these elements in sequence will be a major focus.

    The recommended pre-requisite for this course is comfortable execution of the
    cruzada, and forward and back ochos. A working knowledge of simple turns
    would be useful.

    (3) Fundamentals of Milonga
    Wednesday Oct 16 - Nov 20 (6 weeks)
    8:30 - 10 PM Cost: $36

    This course will build a vocabulary of milonga steps that can provide
    substantial variety in constructing a milonga dance. Starting with the basic
    steps of tango the repertoire will be expanded to include steps that are
    unique to milonga. The structure of milonga that provides a basis for
    navigation and improvisation will be taught, as well as connection with your
    partner and the music.

    The pre-requisite for this course is a basic course in tango, or acquisition
    of the skills taught in a basic course.

    If you haven't taken a class with us yet, give it a try. You will be pleased
    with your advancement.

    * VISITING INSTRUCTOR WORKSHOPS: Fred & Yermen Romero
    Dates: Saturdays Sept 14, Oct 12, Nov 9 (2nd Saturday of each month)
    Topics: Women's/Men's Workshops / Salon Style Tango / Milonga / Vals

    Fred and Yermen Romero, popular experienced tango instructors in Chicago,
    will return again during the Fall Session for a series of workshops. They
    will provide continuing instruction at the intermediate and advanced level.
    Details will be announced.

    If you haven't taken a workshop from Fred & Yermen, join the growing number
    of those who have and are pleased. In working with us, we together form a
    coordinated tango teaching team with the goal of improving your enjoyment of
    this beautiful dance that is a joy to our lives.

    Susana and I hope you can join us for the tango activities at the Phillips
    Recreation Center this Fall Session. If you miss this opportunity, you will
    be missing a chance to add a special dance to your life. Just ask someone who
    does tango what it means to them. They can't live without it. Neither will
    you.

    Ron Weigel