My last hurrah with the Dancing Illini?

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Mar 24 2002 - 16:34:00 CST

    My final oral defense might be on April 9.

    If I pass the defense, I will have finished my Doctor of Musical Arts
    degree in piano performance. But with all of that good news comes with
    some bad news; if I pass, this is my last hurrah with the Dancing Illini.

    Before all of this happens, let me tell you that I adored my 6-7
    years in this dance club. I had seen people that had to go, like Amy
    Berger, Cory Tsang, and Mark Balzer. I also knew the ones who enjoyed the
    club for the love of it, like Tanja Hodges, Paul Jones, Jeremy Williams,
    and perhaps Lisa Hoppe. And I've seen some of the new co-teachers come
    in--the Hutbers (Adrian and Holly) were fantastic, as well as Andrew
    and Michelle Tate. I also saw a few of the famous
    heavy-hitters in ballroom dancing, like former champion Kathryn Schaffer
    and Polish couples Kris and Ela in the DI workshops, as well as Sam and
    Judy (they are very lovely on the dance floor!).

    My biggest memory of being with the DI was moving through the ranks from
    beginner to intermediate level group classes (I know good things like
    great dancing takes time), and making several friends in the process as
    well as learning some great ballroom, Latin, and nightclub figures.

    Details of my final defense (including date) will come soon. I think
    of my final defense as something like an ISTD examination, but, unlike
    Joanna Bosse, my subject in my defense won't be on ballroom dancing.

    Charles Smith
    Dance lover