Highlights of a Stardust Dance Weekend in the Catskills

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 21 2002 - 23:57:46 CST

    In the heart of the place where Dirty Dancing was made famous, after a
    one-hour ride from Stewart Airport through the backroads of rural NY, we
    got into the Kutshers' sports complex just near the Catskills mountains
    and started our magical dance journey that lasted from March 8 to March
    10 as we stopped at the Kutshers hotel at twilight, in the town of
    Monticello. Michele, a friend of mine, couldn't wait to dance with
    me in NY.

    Kutshers hotel resembled ISR at the U. of I. because it seems like a
    'home within a home' in such a way that you don't need to go out of the
    complex. There was the Dining Hall, where people either eat or dance in
    two makeshift dance floors that were, unfortunately, 1/6 the size of the
    Regent ballroom, to DJed music. You can buy snacks at the snack shop, and
    it even had a arcade room featuring vintage and recent pinball and video
    games.

    Michele and I had to change fast in the hotel room for the busy
    2.5 days of social dancing, dance shows, and ballroom concession stands
    selling stuff like instructional tapes and dance music CDs, and even dance
    dresses mainly for the ladies like sequins and Latin dresses. There were
    dance classes and workshops as well but we only went to two of them.

    Kutshers hotel was the main attraction. In the main lobby, you can see the
    small lake from the windows. There was also a grand piano where you can
    play without needing consent. The hotel also had an indoor swimming pool
    just adjacent to a bar which had DJed salsa, merengue and hustle.

    But the biggest sight was the main dance hall with a light-blue accent...
    The Stardust room....For us, it was almost like heaven....

    The Stardust room resembled almost like a Copacabana-style nightclub, with
    four tiers of dining tables and chairs plus extra chairs Round-Robin
    style. It had a wooden dance floor almost as big as the Regent ballroom,
    and a raised platform where dance extravaganzas were done, and in the back
    of the platform, room for a dance orchestra to play.

    The most exciting part of being in the Stardust room was the
    ballroom dancing to DJed music. The DJ would say things like...
    "Tango...Get a partner for tango....paso doble--will be next!"

    In fact, we danced two paso dobles. Taking our cares away, we, despite
    the social environment (although only several couples danced paso),
    pretended like we danced paso in a ballroom competition. We did cape
    shapes, promenade runs, Spanish lines, and all that. I even threw in the
    flamenco taps so she can try to do them, but she can't, but it doesn't
    matter. But it was about 3 minutes of us on Cloud 9.

    The DJ in the room would play all styles
    of ballroom music, and I can remember that right near 3am at March 9, when
    the DJ never stops the music until the last dance couple leaves the room,
    a polka dance was played and we galoped and 'chassed' down the floor.

    There were other dance venues around the hotel: one for Latin dancing,
    another for Argentine tango, and still another for hustle and WCS. We
    went to all of those, but we liked the ballroom dance venue the most.

    Our low point was when Michele refused to dance to West Coast swing
    because she was so afraid to do so to taped WCS music. This was rather
    frustrating because two months ago we went to a WCS workshop just near New
    Year's Eve with famed Chicago dance teacher Nino Digiulio--who turned out
    to be one of the dance promoters of the dance weekend. Everytime WCS was
    played, we danced the triple ECS instead.

    And to top it off, I got what I really wanted; at the ballroom vending
    concessions, I purchased Kathy Blake's instructional video on paso doble,
    which I adore very much.

    Charles Smith
    Dance Lover