I will continue dancing!

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 07:05:12 CST

    Losing one partner for the Dancing Illini competition really hurts. My
    former partner was supposed to do eight dances. At least I didn't suffer
    the disappointement of not being recalled after the preliminary heats.

    And then there was West Coast Swing with Lisa. In the WCS final, realizing
    all of the open choreography I saw from the Latin dance categories, I had
    to do one. I started in back-to-front challenge position, looking over my
    shoulder at Lisa, did some hip rolls, and finished off with a left double
    spin before we went into lead-follow. That perhaps was the one that saved
    my day.

    I was with Lisa when the awards ceremony was announced. I thought we were
    in sixth place. But it went down to fifth--fourth--and then we got third
    place. Third place! I wish we were in first, but it dosen't matter.

    In the general dances, I was even able to dance tango with a stranger.

    And just like Vanessa Williams once sang, "I'm Saving The Best For Last."
    I could have said "I had saved my best for last."

    What a miracle! I realize now that dancing is still my greatest
    love and joy, so I won't retire from dancing after all. Literally, I'm
    back!