A sadly done deal. Michele and Charles? Maybe not.

From: charles joseph smith (cjsmith2@students.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri May 18 2001 - 14:06:44 CDT

It is a very deep regret to tell you that Michele, my newest
girlfriend and great dance partner, may not be able to compete in the
next Dancing Illini competition with me. She loves me very dearly and
is an almost impeccable follower but all of this love and our joy for
dancing with each other may be for not.

Why? Although she has a 6-month postdoctorate research commitment in
the fall 2001 at the University of Illinois , and although she will have
full University facutly
privileges (including her own student ID), she won't be there until
early December. By then, the competition would have passed in October
and it won't work.

The only way out of this is that I have to ask Michele to leave her
University of Mulhouse position for at least one week in October to
attend the competition. She needs permission from the university to
do this. But this may not work also. It would be too expensive for her,
and the university overseas would say 'No.' If she decides to go from
France to the U. of I. to
compete in the DI contest without the Mulhouse's university's consent,
she might lose her physics teaching tenure and hence lose her great
job in France.

This really hurts.

Only a miracle will put us in the competition now.