Re: PSF file format

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2021 - 12:59:48 CDT

lore has it that the *authoritative* documentation of the CHARMM file
formats is the CHARMM source code.

one important point to note is that PSF (and PDB) are file formats based on
Fortran style formatting, which has fixed widths and does not need spaces
as separators.
so it can be legal to have something like:

1001100210031004 (for a 4I4 format) being read as 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004
but if you would write out 1001 1002 1003 1004 in would be read as 1001,
100, 210, 31
that is different from how C/C++ and Python process input.

So what it now boils down to is what you are after: do you want to write
out or edit PSF files to be fully conforming, or do they just have to be
read by NAMD.

Axel.

P.S.: there are some more possible flags to appear in the first line to
indicate the use of the PSF for specific purposes

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer  akohlmey_at_gmail.com  https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://goo.gl/1wk0__;!!DZ3fjg!p-wNAv3ovVg_nB2ZTNtCw1YI1YgEhtCqEwvmhNx5kIZ70jVHlH8zck9jETJ9ZMFntw$