Re: PSF file format

From: Josh Vermaas (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 04 2021 - 12:48:41 CDT

The best documentation on the format is *probably* the CHARMM
documentation, which is actually rather sparse.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://academiccharmm.org/documentation/version/c45b2/io*IOFORM__;Iw!!DZ3fjg!uRPWqMKGW1780p7gOxom55ZPP9L4h9AHLa2pb7HsKx66nLOh7NH4vymgTxHM9_y3qw$

Basically, the first line of the PSF file dictates the field width. For
regular, non-extended PSFs, the header will look like:

PSF

In these files, you are limited to 4 characters for segnames and
atomtypes. CHARMM can also write (and VMD/NAMD can also read/write)
"extended" PSF files. The headers for these will look like:

PSF EXT

This buys you 8 characters for segnames and atomtypes. NAMD/VMD also can
write space-delimited psf files, which are tagged as follows:

PSF NAMD

The NAMD/VMD version is the most flexible, since fields just need to be
separated by spaces, and for the most part psfgen/VMD will select this
option if the contents of the psf file demand it.

-Josh

--
Josh Vermaas
vermaasj_at_msu.edu