Re: Binding free energy tutorial

From: jing liang (jingliang2015_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 31 2018 - 04:31:13 CDT

Hi everyone,

I ran the binding free energy tutorial case (alchemical route) with the
suggested modifications. For the unbound simulation
I got the BAR estimator of -54.12 and for the bound case this estimator was
-36.41. That BAR estimator was obtained through
the parseFEP plugin from VMD. By looking at the summary.png plot from
parseFEP, I noticed that the forward and backward
pathways (in both bound and unbound cases) show a larger hysteresis
(~10kcal/mol difference) than the one you presented
in the Fig. 5 of the tutorial. I got some questions, any comment is
appreciated:

* Are all energy restraints included in the BAR estimator? I mean, for
instance the free energy contribution due to the restraining
potential as in Fig. 7 of the tutorial. Or should I get the energy
contribution by integrating some extra terms?

* In the tutorial it says that one can do "grep dA/DLambda rest-01.log" to
get the restraints contributions, but I couldn't find that
output file.

* Should the binding free energy difference be equal to the (BAR estimator
unbound) - (BAR estimator bound)?

Thanks.