Re: MD using implicit solvent

From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Fri Dec 30 2016 - 11:03:05 CST

I'm a bit unfamiliar with all the details, but isn't the dielectric
constant you set effectively set the solvent being used? So for water,
the dielectric is 80ish. Acetonitrile is 40ish. Something like
Chloroform is near 5. You just look it up in a table you trust, and off
you go. Implicit solvent models currently can't model the first or
second solvation layers that might structure around a solute, so the
dielectric determines the effective solvent.

-Josh