Re: Energy minimization in NAMD

From: Ajasja Ljubetič (ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2016 - 04:24:08 CDT

Sure,

Your system is stuck in a local minimum/saddle. Local minimization methods
(such as conjugated gradient etc...) will not help you get out of the local
minimum. You can try to heat up the system and cool it down again. This is
called simulated annealing
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_annealing> and may help you cross
from the local to the global minimum.

Alternately you can very the dihedral angles of your molecule, so that you
start local minimization from different conformations, one of which will
hopefully converge to the global minimum.
Although rigorously proving that you have found the global minimum is also
difficult.

Good luck,
Ajasja