Re: Tesla K80 vs 3 x GTX 980Ti

From: Aron Broom (broomsday_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 26 2016 - 15:07:13 CDT

I haven't used the newest gpus, but my experience would suggest the
following:

1) the 3x 980 will get you better performance if you are running multiple
different simulations. I don't know about fastest speed on a single
simulation, but I suspect the performance advantage would evaporate there.

2) there is the possibility of memory issues with the GeForce series
cards. If you go that route, you should consider using the GPU memory
checking program from the Pande lab (google OpenMM or SimTK). I had a 580
card once that was crashing randomly mid simulation and yet the simulations
worked fine on another card. The memory checker showed many memory
issues. I've never had any problems with the workstation cards.

3) what about warranty? You might be able to afford the K80, but what if
something happens to it? Are you also getting some kind of coverage?
Because it would be much simpler to replace the 980s with whatever was a
good price at the time.

--
Aron Broom M.Sc
PhD Student