Re: RMSD

From: Brian Radak (bradak_at_anl.gov)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2016 - 14:11:29 CDT

Then the "problem" is almost certainly that the reference structure is
different for both RMSD calculations -- a common mistake for people new
to simulation.

I would rerun the script with /both/ DCD files; the resulting RMSD
should be more inline with what you expect.

On a related note: Depending on what you are hoping to learn here, you
may want to try a different reference structure. It is not particularly
surprising that an unequilibrated structure (frame 0) is very different
from one generated by MD. You will almost always get a small RMSD that
quickly rises to a large value and then levels out. Choosing a later
reference structure would be a good way to indicate that the system is
actually equilibrating to a new region of configuration space. For more
rigorous calculations you could also try using an average structure as
the reference or else a structure chosen from some kind of clustering
algorithm.

Cheers,
Brian

--