Fwd: TIP4P and CHARMM27

From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 27 2015 - 09:17:35 CST

Hello: Updating previous mail to VMD only. On restarting that work from
scratch, with my molecule solvated by TIP4P (Freddolino box), I was unable
to minimize the system, by any protocol of NAMD 2.10, beyond ts=0.055fs.
Both these and previous minimization at ts=1.2fs (this could not be
reproduced) did not allow heating NVT: crash at the first step from 0 to
1K, because of atoms moving too fast. All those procedure are familiar and
successful in my quarters with TIP3P. Then, I came across warnings that
unfortunately I had missed before:

Things get DICEY very fast if you try using ANY TIP4 models with charmm
> forcefields, because of how deeply the water model is baked into the charmm
> parameterization procedure. People do it, sometimes it seems to work well,
> but there's no reason to expect that it actually SHOULD give reasonable
> results. (Freddolino 29-Sep-2015, at 7:25 PM)

All my efforts above were prompted by having got a TIP4P-solvated atom
model that had been parameterized with OPLSAA in GROMACS (while I know how
to change those type of parameters to charmm27). I wonder now whether that
model was reliable work.

cheers

francesco pietra