Re: Calculating RMSF per residue

From: Abir Ganguly (aganguly_at_mpi-muelheim.mpg.de)
Date: Tue Apr 21 2015 - 02:58:40 CDT

Hi Lurong, Aron,

Thanks so much for the quick response (and the script!). Firstly, I
apologize for submitting this email to the NAMD list. I realized it as
soon as I sent my email, but it was already too late.

Lurong, I actually wrote a script to calculate the "RMSF_CA". The
relevant portion (post alignment of the trajectory) is below:

set ref_CA [atomselect 1 "$sel_string”]
set rmsf [measure rmsf $cur_CA]
for {set i 0} {$i < [$cur_CA num]} {incr i} {
         puts $outfile [format %12.6f [lindex $rmsf $i]]
}

which is similar to your script. I was actually looking up some old
threads, and one of the threads had this idea of using dummy atoms. I
was just curious why I could not set the coordinates of the dummy atom
in the toy script I posted.

Anyway, thanks so much for your script. I guess I will just go with
Aron’s idea of calculating RMSFs of all atoms and then average it out
over the residues.

Best,