Re: atom types in PSF/PRM/RTF

From: Josh Vermaas (vermaas2_at_illinois.edu)
Date: Fri May 22 2015 - 09:55:44 CDT

Hi Hannes,

It depends. The original psf specification was developed for CHARMM, and
originally each of the fields was allowed to be only 4 characters long
(this was a decision made a long time ago, so it seemed reasonable at
the time). However, around the time CGenFF and the sugar force fields
were being expanded, it became apparent that 4 characters wasn't going
to cut it anymore, as it was really convenient to have the first
character of an atomtype indicate the element. CHARMM introduced an
extended format to deal with the explosion of atomtypes, which double
the length of each field to 8 characters
(http://www.charmm.org/documentation/c39b1/io.html#%20IOFORM). VMD and
NAMD will handle either one just fine, but as Aaron mentioned, the most
important thing is to be consistent, and have distinct atomtypes have
unique names. Check existing CHARMM36 force field files for the
atomtype. If it exists, consider giving your new atomtype a different name.

-Josh Vermaas