Re: vmd-l: Re: velocity IO with psfgen?

From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 26 2015 - 12:47:52 CST

Hi,
  The psfgen utility began as a standalone program, but very early on
it was modified to add Tcl command bindings, allowing it to be
dynamically loaded into VMD as a Tcl package. The standalone and
VMD Tcl-versions of psfgen are both compiled from exactly the same
source code. The psfgen code is maintained by Jim Phillips, the lead
NAMD developer. As you mention psfgen is by far most commonly used
within VMD, but that being said, there's nothing preventing it from
loaded into other Tcl interpreters, and it should even be possible to
run the same Tcl-based version from VMD within NAMD if one wanted to.

Cheers,
  John