Re: Density of water box

From: Ana Celia Vila Verde (acavilaverde_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2014 - 06:29:02 CDT

Dear Akshay,

The reduction in volume that you see during equilibration is normal;
after the equilibration the water will have the correct density, which
is what you want. If you prefer a 10 A water cube, use solvate.tcl to
create a 11 A cube; after equilibration it should have an edge length
close to 10 A.

Keep in mind, though, that if your water cube has an edge that's 10 A
then you need a cutoff for the non-bonded interactions of no more than 5
A. This will not work well because most water force-fields were
parameterized with cutoff distances of order 9 to 12 A. This means that
simulation boxes should not have edge lengths smaller than 18 to 24 A
(twice the cutoff length).

I hope this helps,

Ana