Re: First meeting with NAMD

From: Kenno Vanommeslaeghe (kvanomme_at_rx.umaryland.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 13 2013 - 12:19:52 CDT

I don't know the answer to this question because I never used psfgen, but
I just want to warn you that, *if* what you're trying to accomplish is
having a neutral simulation system, *then* changing the protonation states
of titratable residues is the wrong way to do it. Valid reasons to change
the protonation states of titratable residues are:
- to set them to their most likely state given their pKa and chemical
environment
- to try a few different options if the above doesn't yield a clear-cut answer
For instance, it is not unusual for weak acid groups to become neutral in
a highly negative local environment (and your membrane seems to fit that
bill), so if that's why you're doing this, then it sounds reasonable.