Re: about dcd files

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2012 - 09:00:43 CDT

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 3:30 PM, Namd Namd <namd_10_at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I use periodic boundary conditions in my namd simulations. And I generated
> coord.dcd, vel.dcd and force.dcd files. The conf file is in below. Should I
> use the wrapped coordinates, velocities and forces when I do trajectory

there is no point in wrapping velocities and forces. how would that work at all?

> analysis ? or Can I use coordinates, velocities and forces witout wrapping
> for trajectory analysis ? Also Are wrapped velocities and forces values

whether you need wrapped or unwrapped coordinates or whether it doesn't
matter, depends very much on the kind of analysis that you want to do.
it is usually easier/faster to wrap an unwrapped trajectory, but you may
loose a bit or two in accuracy and visualization may not be as nice right
out of the box. similarly, it is possible to unwrap a trajectory after the fact.

> different from the unwrapped velocities and forces values ? Could you give
> me the information about this issue ?

i suggest you make some experiments on a tiny test system and
find the best approach that fits your needs best. no point in deciding
either way, when you don't know what you need and what you can
work with the best.

axel.