Re: Buffer Underflow in Multiple Walker MetaDynamics

From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 14 2012 - 15:20:04 CDT

I see.

What you said in 4) sounds indeed suspicious: are the different nodes
sharing the same filesystem through NFS? The same problems may responsible
for 5), e.g. you don't get a read error but the filesystem doesn't catch up
as often as it should. I didn't have very good experience with NFS
filesystems.

Indeed one thing you can try is to make the hills larger and add them less
often. A good start would be to make them 16 times larger, and add them 16
times less often (make it 10 and 10 to not mess up with the restart
frequency, of course).

Or even better, keep the hills as they are, but increase instead
replicaUpdateFrequency (so you give the replicas more time to empty their
buffers).

Btw, are you getting the following warning?

Warning: in metadynamics bias "metadynamics1": failed to read completely
output files from replica "xxx" ...

Also, I'd like to know your exact values of
newHillFrequency, replicaUpdateFrequency and restartFreq.