Re: keeping a protein in a solvation box

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jun 12 2012 - 22:16:30 CDT

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Dr. Eddie <eackad_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info!
>
> Now correct me if I am wrong (and I pretty sure I am) but I can't understand
> the following. If I have a piece if a protein which is sticking out of my
> pbc solvated box, say residue 1, then there is no solvant for  residue 1  to
> interact with except the on periodic boundary and in the box. But around
> residue 1 there is no solvant since it wrap (wrapWater). So it seems it
> would be in vacuum but not see any surface tension of the solvant due to the
> pbc. Where is my misunderstanding?
>
> When I look at this using vmd I see part of the protein leave the box. If I
> add a periodic image then it looks like the part that left the box is
> solvated. But as mentioned above this seems like an illusion.

it is not an illusion. it is how periodic boundaries work.
think of you are simulating not a single box, but an
infinitely large crystal. where your simulation cell is
replicated over and over again. this is how the interactions
are compute. have a look at the material posted here:

http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/software/ljmd

axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer