Re: FEP difficulties between two ion species

From: Niklaus Johner (nij2003_at_med.cornell.edu)
Date: Fri May 18 2012 - 09:13:06 CDT

Hi all,

I'm having the same issue with an FEP calculation of the protonation of a sidechain.
My FEP calculations run fine as long as I don't use colvar to add a restraint. If I turn colvar on and add a restraint between an atom from my vanishing sidechain and any atom in my system but the appearing sidechain, it also works fine. But if I add a restraint between atoms from the appearing and vanishing sidechain, then it crashes at the first time step (even if I use forceConstant=0).

It seems that adding a restraint between the vanishing and appearing atoms somehow makes them see each other and clash. Maybe it breaks the automatic generation of the non-bonded exclusion list?

I tried this on namd2.7, namd2.8 and namd2.9.
I haven't tried to use alchemify to create the exclusion list myself yet.

Any input would be welcome.

Best,

Niklaus

Niklaus Johner