RE: DCD

From: Gianluca Interlandi (gianluca_at_u.washington.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2012 - 16:30:29 CDT

In general, you don't want to create one huge DCD file. You want to
restart your simulation every certain amount of ns to make sure that your
trajectory is split into several smaller chunks.

The best thing to do now is to use the "animate" command to load only
chunks of your dcd file into VMD:

animate read dcd "yourdcd.dcd" start SSS end EEE waitfor all

Replace SSS and EEE with start and end frames. For example, start with
SSS=0, EEE=999 and then SSS=1000, EEE=1999

In this way, VMD will not freeze your computer. Then you can use Ernesto's
comment with

animate write dcd mydcd_chunk_01.dcd [atomselect top "not (protein or
ions)"]

Gianluca