AW: Keep PBC box size in Z-direction constant?

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Tue Feb 21 2012 - 00:27:45 CST

Hi,

You can hold it only in XY with "useconstantarea", so you could simply rotate your box and let pressure happen in Z. The reason why your simulation crashes might be fixed atoms at the boundaries of the periodic box, which cannot be rescaled or something very similar. Often this error comes with fixed atoms. You could try to increase the relaxation time of the pressure control if you do not have fixed atoms at the boundaries, but inside the system, as sometimes it happens that the atom coordinate rescaling due to pressure, when happening in too big step, creates heavy forces when rescaling free atoms into fixed ones.

Feel free to ask further.

Good luck

Norman Geist.