Re: Controlling fans on a GTX 560 ti

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2012 - 08:35:42 CST

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Ajasja Ljubetič
<ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you!
> It works for me.  Well mostly. Calling "sudo cool_gpu stop" says
> Attribute 'GPUFanControlState' (epr-rokavi6:0[gpu:0]) assigned value 0
> but nvidia-smi still reports the fans at the manually set value (100%).

ahh.. well, i guess, i need to turn off persistence mode at the end of
the script for cuda 4.x and/or reinitialize the driver.

> But this is not a problem, since I don't want to go back to the automatic
> fan control:)

same here. i run this on remote machines in a data center.
in fact, i rarely touch those machines.

> One question: why don't you set the fans to 100% instead of 85%? Just a
> matter of noise?

i don't care about noise, since i use this on machines in a data center.
the data center is *so* loud already that when i work there, i am using
noise cancelling headphones or else my IQ would drop 10 points every hour.

no, i am concerned about efficiency and durability. the increase in
airflow and cooling efficiency is minimal when going from 75-85%
to 100%, but the wear is much higher due to more turbulence
and more resulting vibrations. the drop in temperature at 85%
fan speed is 20C already.

in general, it is almost never good to go full throttle. this is
why i usually look for second or third best. you get a much
better deal in so many ways.

cheers,
    axel.

--