Re: Umbrella sampling-NAMD

From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2011 - 11:07:04 CST

Dear Parisa,

The harmonic bias in the colvars module is a Genuine Harmonic
Potential (TM). It does not follow the Silly Non-Standard CHARMM
Convention (TM).
You can see it this way: bond potentials are part of the force field,
hence they have to follow SNSCC (R), whereas harmonic restraints can
be GHPs (R). The tricky thing is that "extrabonds" in NAMD is designed
to work like normal bonds, i.e. CHARMM-style.

The bottom line is, the actual value of the harmonic constant is 100
kcal/mol/A^2. Does that give a PMF that is half-sensible?

Jerome