Re: AW: Multinode NAMD CUDA GPU Selection

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2011 - 06:33:28 CDT

On Aug 19, 2011, at 1:53 AM, Norman Geist
<norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de> wrote:

> Axel,
>
> What I just mean, sorry for answering doubled, is that I don't understand
> why it can't be implemented like this:
>
> Lets say, and its really likely, namd already generates an array where PEs
> and GPUs are assigned to each other. Why not generate this array like this:
>
> - repeat the +device string till number of entries >= number of PEs
> - then use PE-ID as index for +device list
>
> This would be an absolutely clean solution, which works exactly like the
> current implementation, but adds the possibility to do settings for special
> cases. Don’t get me wrong, I don't want to criticize namd developers, I just
> would have implemented this in that way, because: Why not! It's clean! It's
> working for all possible cases! Does'nt matter if it is a homogenous
> environment or not.
>
> What do you think about that?

The NAMD sources are freely available. Implement your suggestion and
submit it to Jim. It won't make a difference to most people.
Personally, I think you are wasting your time, trying to make up in
software for a bad hardware layout, but that is just me and should not
stop you if you are convinced that your way is worth it. This is the
power of open source software. A lot of good things have come out of
this kind of discussion.

Cheers,

     Axel