Re: Denaturation via increased temperature

From: Bjoern Olausson (namdlist_at_googlemail.com)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2011 - 06:11:17 CDT

On Monday 15 August 2011 11:38:55 Jernej Zidar wrote:
> Hi Bjoern.

Hej Jernej,
thanks for your reply.

> Infolding of proteins typically happens on a much larger time scale. A
> 25-ns simulation is not enough if you want to study protein unfolding
> without using any special techniques (Acelerated Sampling Methods, page
> 148 in the NAMD User's Guide).

I am aware of these methods, and the 25ns simulation was just a "dry" run and
serves as starting point for the denaturation run - take it as an "extended
equilibration" run ;-)

> If possible I would first try to extend the trajectory to at least 50 ns.
> Then, if no changes would occur I would use the aforementioned techniques.

This was my intend. Currently I have 7ns @50°C if nothing happens at 100ns
I'll first try to boil the protein and if this does not help, I'll try to use
aMD @50°C and see what happens...

Thanks for your suggestions, but this doesn't answer my question about the
correct procedure to set the temperature, or if my approach is sufficient for
my purpose.

Cheers,
Bjoern