Re: Yan: analysis question

From: Bjoern Olausson (namdlist_at_googlemail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 22 2011 - 03:01:05 CDT

On Thursday 21 July 2011 15:10:26 Namd Namd wrote:
> Dear Bjoern,
>

> Thank you very much for your reply. I examined your site and found it very
> useful.

You are welcome.
But please always CC the Mailing-list for further questions. Others might
benefit from your question and/or my answer.

> Thanks for your valuable effort. I want to use your script anamo.py for
> writing pressure tensor elements.

You are talking about PXX PXY PXZ PYX PYY PYZ PZX PZY PZZ, aren't you?

> But, I have not enough information about python programming language.

You don't need to know anything about Python to run the script.

> How can I regulate your script to write pressure tensor elements for a
> “namd.log” file ?

You don't have to regulate anything, just run it with the according parameters
something like:

# python anamo.py --help

or in your particular case, to plot and extract PXX and PXY at the same time:
# python anamo.py -x PTS -y PXX -x PTS -y PXY -o out -f namd.out

This will produce six files:
PTS-PXX_out.dat
PTS-PXX_out.dat.{svg,png}
PTS-PXY_out.dat
PTS-PXY_out.dat.{svg,png}

The dat files will contain the raw data you see in the plot.

And anamo will print out MIN, MAX, STD for every selection to std-out.

All you need is python >=2.5, scipy and matplotlib.

http://python.org/
http://www.scipy.org/
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

On windows you might consider the Enthought Python distribution, since it
contains the above modules.
http://www.enthought.com/products/edudownload.php (scroll down to academic)

Or use (I would prefer this)
http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads
and install the required modules one by one with PyPM (comes with activpython)

If this is to much hassle, use VMDs "NAMD Plot" to extract the data.

> Which changes should I make in script ? Could you please help me about this
> issue ?

Don't change anything except you know what you are doing or you have to squish
some bugs ;-)

Cheers,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern Olausson
Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg