AW: AW: question about wrap atoms to its original coordinates

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Fri May 20 2011 - 00:04:48 CDT

Hi,

yes, I know that problem of bond that seems to go through the whole box. To this first frame thing, I meant that if you use amber, you load your parmtop first and the original parmcrd as first frame before the dcd. On charmm it’s the psf and the pdb as first frame before the dcd. Also: If you use wrapAll you don't need to use wrapWater I guess, because it's already wrapped when you use "all". I think you just need to get into the unwrap command vmd provides. VMD is from the same people that wrote NAMD, so there should be a solution. Another thing is that vmd needs to know the cell dimensions. This is normally done when loading a parmcrd or pdb, but you can also set them by command in vmd.

The following should be exactly what you need, just try out ;)

set cell [options…]

Set the VMD unit cell properties (e.g. to use VMD’s feature that allows to display periodic copies of the system). 6

readxst xstfile [options…]

Read the VMD unit cell properties from an XST file. 7

get [options…]

Get the VMD unit cell properties.

wrap [options…]

When the atoms of the system are not all in one periodic image, but are distributed over various images, this function wraps all atoms into the chosen image. It is also possible to change between different representations of the unit cell (orthorhombic or triclinic).

unwrap [options…]

When overlong bonds (that stretch the whole system) occur and compounds (residues, segments, chains or fragments) are broken in the course of a simulation trajectory because atoms are wrapped around the periodic boundaries, this function will remove large jumps of atoms between consecutive frames.

join compound [options…]

When you have still broken compounds in frames after you have used unwrap, this function can be used to join broken compounds. Note, that this function is significantly slower than unwrap!

box [options…]

When you want to draw a box around the unit cell of your system, this function can be used. The box will automatically adapt to changes in the unit cell parameters in the course of a trajectory.

box_draw [options…]

When the unit cell parameters do not change in the course of a trajectory, this function draws a static box that will not adapt to changes in the unitcell properties.

Best regards

Norman Geist.