Re: how to write the bond across the cell boundary

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 25 2011 - 08:17:05 CDT

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Ajasja Ljubetič
<ajasja.ljubetic_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> I too would like to know if this is possible (I'd like to make an endless
> alpha-helix)
> Any suggestion welcome.

adding the bond should not be a problem with the .psf file.
i would not manually manipulate the .psf file with a text editor,
since that is rather error prone. you can define individual bonds
easily in VMD with: topo addbond <atom 1> <atom 2>
you have to be very careful with the simulation cell definition,
since that has now an impact on how much that bond is
stretched, and thus starting with a minimization is probably
a very good idea.

i don't know about NAMD, but i use LAMMPS a lot
these days and this method works perfectly there.

cheers,
    axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer