Re: Fwd: vmd-l: Re: hBond colvars and patching

From: Francesco Pietra (chiendarret_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Mar 11 2011 - 09:07:20 CST

Hello Peter:
Done as you suggested. Now the stereochemistry in the couples
ASP-patchedGLU, GLU-patchedASP, and CLA-patchedGLU is substantially
the same before and after unrestricted minimization in a POPC membrane
(0 K, ts=1, "rigidBonds water", gradient 5.0) and seem palatable. See
attached examples. I hope the house is in order now.

I found no suggestion from the archives to decide which is best
appropriate, "distance" or "hBond" colvars, to restrict distances from
CLA to its ligand atoms (from patchedGLU, LYS, and ARG). Could that be
suggested? In fact, if the are problems about that, they will only
emerge from long simulations. My aim is to prevent CLA escaping, while
allowing formation of the H-bond during equilibration. To this
concern, it seems to me better not to restrain the GLU-ASP distance or
hBond, and see what the ff feels. If it is suitable to the system, it
is a way to see if the H-bond distances seen in the crystal hold for
the solution state as well in this forced "constant low pH"
simulation.

Thousand thanks
francesco