Re: Question regarding NAMD membrane tutorial

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 18:32:04 CST

No, there is a restraint. The periodic cell cannot change it's size in
the xy plane; however it can fluctuate in the z-axis. This means that a
membrane in the xy plane will not be able to easily spread out or
shrink (it is effectively restrained) and will therefore maintain
the area-per-lipid ratio for the membrane while utilizing the freedom
of the z-axis fluctuations to help allow the atoms of the membrane,
protein, water, etc to relax into an equilibrium state.

Is this clear for you?

Best,
Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                          Voice: 217-244-1733