AW: Namd-I: namd compiling problem

From: Norman Geist (norman.geist_at_uni-greifswald.de)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 00:23:52 CDT

Hi Ye,

just follow the messages namd gives to you. When you want ro run parallel
jobs, you need a program to logon to the other hosts, or even at single host
runs, the host needs to connect to itself. Usually this is done with the
command ssh (secure shell) or rsh (remote shell), both work fine. You need
to have this tool installed on your machines you want to run namd on. This
is usually very easy.

The other issue you have is the cuda version of namd. This version always
needs to be runned with the +idlepoll parameter like:

charmrun +p2 namd2 +idlepoll <yourconfig>

AND your need to put your namd2 directory to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to tell
namd where to search for the libcudart, which is usually shipped with the
downloadable binaries or maybe in the cuda toolkit or with your namd source.
This is done for example if your shell is bash:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/your/namd-dir-with-the-lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

This exports the environment variable with the right directory to the
libcudart. If you want to run namd-cuda in parallel this is no problem on a
single host. Just add ++local to the charmrun command to pas through the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the other processes getting spawned. To run on multible
machines you have to add the parameter ++runscript to the charm command to
execute a script which exports the LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the target hosts
before namd gets started, because you may not use the ++local command with
runs on multible machines. The runsscript could look like:

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/your/namd-dir-with-the-lib/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Save it to runscript.sh for example and call namd like

charmrun ++runscript runscript.sh +p4 ++nodelist yournodelist namd2
+idlepoll <yourconfig>

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Norman Geist.