Re: vmd-l: Re: Fwd: "cuda error cudastreamcreate",

From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2011 - 01:22:50 CDT

Hi Francesco,
  The main thing that has prevented OpenCL from being enabled
by default in production versions of VMD, NAMD, and other tools
has been lack of stability across the implementations
by multiple vendors, and lack of compatibility between binaries compiled
with one vendor's OpenCL SDK with another vendors runtime (something
we've had working for a decade for OpenGL for graphics...)
There is hope though, and I've recently heard that the major problems
were either recently fixed or will be very shortly.

What operating system are you running? Up to now there have not been
stable multi-vendor-compatible OpenCL shared libraries for platforms
other than MacOS X 10.6. VMD 1.9 does include OpenCL support for one of the
electrostatics algorithms and for molecular orbital display, but it is
not turned on in the binaries we distribute due to the issues I describe above
about cross-vendor compatibility of the shared libraries.

In my testing cross-vendor OpenCL already works fine on MacOS X 10.6,
so I am currently hoping to release an OpenCL-enabled VMD 1.9.1 for
MacOS X 10.6. If cross-vendor OpenCL works properly for Windows
and/or Linux, I may enable it on those platforms for the next release as well.

The main thing that will determine whether we release VMD with
OpenCL enabled by default will be how stable it is on the average
user's machine. This will be something we get a lot of feedback
on during the early beta versions.
We'll have to see how things go in testing.

OpenCL and CUDA are actually quite different in a number of
important respects. Also, while the same OpenCL kernel can run
on devices made by different vendors, it will not necessarily
be _fast_ on devices made by multiple vendors... In VMD I had
to make 3 different versions of the molecular orbital kernels for
OpenCL in order to get good performance on NVIDIA, ATI, and Intel x86
CPUs. They could each run the other kernel versions, but often at
a fraction of the performance achievable when kernels were written
with knowledge of the underlying hardware.

Also, while the OpenCL/CUDA kernel code looks very similar for
trivial examples, OpenCL still lacks many of the advanced
features of CUDA that were added in the past two years,
and some things that are more fundamental, e.g. C pointer
manipulation, support for C++ operator overloading,
templates, etc. While one can get by without the advanced features
of CUDA that OpenCL is missing, they frequently make code development
a lot easier and are sorely missed when you're used to having them...