Re: dcd files

From: Jim Phillips (jim_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Sun May 22 2011 - 14:38:55 CDT

A NAMD binary file (restart/output, not DCD trajectory) consists of the
atom count as a 32-bit integer followed by all three position or velocity
components for each atom as 64-bit double-precision floating point, i.e.,
NXYZXYZXYZXYZ... where N is a 4-byte int and X, Y, and Z are 8-byte
doubles. If the number of atoms the file contains is known then the atom
count can be used to determine endianness.

The VMD molfile plugins are the best source of file I/O code examples.

-Jim