Re: Fwd: Coarse Graining Problem

From: Anton Arkhipov (anton_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 24 2010 - 11:20:08 CST

Hi,

You can check the description of CG Tools in VMD here:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/cgtools/

At the very bottom of that web page, there is a description of how to
create arbitrary CG bead definitions, with an example for water. If
you follow that example, you can create any CG model for amino acids,
including 4 or 6 beads. You'll then also need to create topology and
parameter files for such a model. If potential forms are compatible
with what NAMD can represent (e.g., same potential forms as used in
all-atom CHARMM force field), then you should be able to simulate the
resulting CG systems with NAMD.

Since residue-based CG model is more detailed than shape-based CG,
it's also supposedly more accurate. Shape-based CG permits you to
study larger systems on longer time scales. There was a number of
rather successful studies of protein/lipid assembly using the residue-
based CG, for example see nanodisc/HDL papers cited here:

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/CG/

Ultimately, though, CG methods are not very accurate, and particularly
it's hard to trust them if you want to study something like amyloid
aggregation, where fine details may matter a lot. So, one needs to be
careful and test one's models thoroughly before trusting them.

Anton.