Re: questions about ABF simulations

From: Jérôme Hénin (jhenin_at_ifr88.cnrs-mrs.fr)
Date: Wed Nov 03 2010 - 05:51:48 CDT

Mingjun:

On 1 November 2010 15:49, mjyang <mjyang_at_hku.hk> wrote:
> Thanks for the detailed explanation of Jerome and Giacomo. It is helpful to
> my understanding of this method.
>
> After reading the papers about ABF, I still have some confusions about the
> sampling along the defined order parameter. In ABF theory, the acceleration
> of the order parameter is elminated by the biased force.

Not in the current version of ABF. That was one of the early ideas
published Darve and Pohorille in 2000-2001. In what is now called ABF
(anything published after 2001), only the *time-averaged* force is
canceled. The order parameter still experiences a stochastic
acceleration.

> which parameters will impact the efficiency of the sampling? If a
> dihedral is used as the reaction coordinate from 0 to 180 degree, how long a
> MD simulation is required to sample the whole range?

It is very difficult to tell beforehand, because the simulation is
still stochastic.

> In my protein system, I
> defined the dihedral between the center of mass of a larger immobile domain
> and a smaller flexible domain.

>From this description, you seem to be looking at large-scale motion.
Even if the free energy barriers are smoothed out by ABF, diffusive
sampling might take a while.

Best,
Jerome