Re: FATAL ERROR:BAD GLOBAL EXCLUSION COUNT:Please help

From: Chris Harrison (charris5_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 17 2010 - 00:13:12 CDT

Werner,

Please have a look at the NAMD troubleshooting guide:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/wiki/index.cgi?NamdTroubleshooting

Pay particularly close attention to the "Bad global exclusion count" section
and the suggested fix:

-----
These errors generally indicate that two atoms that are (ususally
implicitly) excluded are on non-neighboring patches or are more than the
cutoff distance apart. The situation is analogous for bond, angle, dihedral,
or improper count errors.

This is often caused by similar input problems as in "Atoms moving too fast"
above. In particular, atoms with uninitialized coordinates (0,0,0) may cause
this error on the first timestep.

This will also happen if you have a periodic cell and the input coordinates
to NAMD are wrapped on a per-atom basis so that there are bonds to hydrogen
atoms extending across the cell (i.e., you load the psf and pdb in VMD and
see very long bonds to hydrogens). *You can work around this with the
ancient "splitPatch position" option, which makes every atom its own
hydrogen group (this option disables rigid bonds and hurts performance, so
don't use it normally). It's better to just fix the input coordinates so
that the bonds look normal in VMD. *

Another possibility is that some atoms are specified more than once, for
example one residue ends up in two chains. This is very difficult to spot in
VMD as these duplicate atoms have the same coordinates.

-----

Should this fail to fix your problem, please let us know.

Chris

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733