Re: question about NAMD

From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 11 2010 - 19:55:11 CST

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Pengcheng Yin <yin.p_at_husky.neu.edu> wrote:
> Hi, NAMD genius~
>
> After I typed namd2 in the command window, it shows the following error
> message, could you help me out?
> "
> Charm++: standalone mode (not using charmrun)
> Info: NAMD 2.5b1 for Linux-i686

hi NAMD non-genius,

you are trying to run an obsolete beta version.
this is an incredibly pointless undertaking.

have you tried a proper release version or
if you must use a beta version at least the latest one?

your report is otherwise useless, since you
don't provide *any* information about the platform
(linux version, architecture, glibc version).

> Info:
> Info: Please visit http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/namd/
> Info: and send feedback or bug reports to namd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
> Info:
> Info: Please cite Kale et al., J. Comp. Phys. 151:283-312 (1999)
> Info: in all publications reporting results obtained with NAMD.
> Info:
> Info: Sending usage information to NAMD developers via UDP.
> namd2: dynamic-link.h:57: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic
> tag"' failed.
> Aborted
> "
>
> Whenever I try to execute namd2 command with some input, it gives the same
> error:
> "namd2: dynamic-link.h:57: elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic
> tag"' failed.

this looks like a shared linker issue. most likely your linux
has no backward compatibility libraries for ancient binaries.

cheers,
   axel.

--
Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer    akohlmey_at_gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/akohlmey/