Alignment of velocity dcd file

From: Mert Gür (gurmert_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 22 2009 - 15:03:10 CDT

Dear all,
Lets say that I have a coordinate dcd file "dcd1" and a velocity dcd file
"vel1" both of size 2000x1200.
I align my protein using vmd and save the aligned coordinates as "dcd2".
Now I can easily obtain an rotation matrix rot of size 2000x2000 that
performes the following transition

rotxdcd1=dcd2.

What I want to do is to eliminate the terms in the velocity due to
transition and rotation of my protein. Does the following transition make
sense in that light?

rotxvel1

I am asking because the velocities seem to increase if I do this matrix
multiplication. Since I am eliminating some of its components, the
velocities should actually decrease.
So at that point I started to doubt if the velocities due to transition and
rotation are included in the velocity dcd file?

The manual just says

stores the trajectory of all atom velocities using the same format (binary
DCD) as X-PLOR. If velDCDfile is defined, then velDCDfreq must also be
defined.

Can anybody help me out with that?

Best,
Mert