Re: soft-core FEP in namd 2.7b

From: Jerome Henin (jhenin_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Sun May 10 2009 - 11:50:25 CDT

Hi Sebastian,

There is no need to neglect anything, the soft-core formalism is
analytically accurate. Have a look at the expression for the soft-core
potential and let lambda be 1: then it becomes identical to a 6-12
Lennard-Jones (and of course it goes to zero as lambda vanishes). So
switching from L-J to soft-core only changes the intermediate states 0
< lambda < 1, not the end-points of the calculation, hence it does not
change the (converged) free energy difference.

Best,
Jerome