Re: dummy atom mass changed

From: Jerome Henin (jhenin_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 17:39:22 CDT

Hi,
As you said, the only reason why the dummy atom is needed is because
NAMD 2.6 does not have soft-core potentials. The purpose of the
tutorial is somewhat academic, in that the "charging free energy" is
only meaningful within some theories of ion solvation, and is not an
experimental observable.
If you want a complete solvation free energy, then it is not necessary
to follow the tutorial's "pseudo-single topology" approach.

Note that if for some reason, you do want to use a dummy atom, its
mass will not affect the thermodynamics of the system. It should
typically not be less than 1.0, otherwise you may need to use smaller
timesteps to preserve the stability of the simulation.

One more remark: even the charging free energy can now be computed
without the help of a dummy atom, since NAMD 2.7b1 allows for the
separate decoupling of electrostatic and L-J interactions, through the
fepElecLambdaStart and fepVdwLambdaEnd parameters.

Best,
Jerome