Re: Aligning the distance between two centroids with an axis

From: Chris Harrison (char_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 30 2009 - 21:31:43 CST

Mert,

Your question is really a VMD question and therefore, to yield better and
more responses, it's best to post similar questions to vmd-l.

1. Check out the matrix commands in the vmd manual; ie transvec, vecsub,
etc.

2. Check out the Orient script, written for similar problems, at:
http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/script_library/scripts/orient/

3. A hastily written example soln to a similar problem:
proc align_p1p2_to_z { p1 p2 } {
  # p1 and p2 should represent more than one atom

  set p1pos [lindex [$p1 get {x y z}] 0 ]
  set p2pos [lindex [$p2 get {x y z}] 0 ]
  set vec [vecsub $p1pos $p2pos]

  set alat [atomselect top all]

  set M [transvec $vec]
  $alat move $M

  set M2 [transaxis y -90]
  $alat move $M2
}

C.

--
Chris Harrison, Ph.D.
char_at_ks.uiuc.edu                            Voice: 217-244-1733