Re: Problems with Mutator1.1, mutations and FEP

From: Jerome Henin (jhenin_at_cmm.chem.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 02 2007 - 20:16:46 CDT

Sven,
I see what the problem is. You are mutating 4 residues at the same
time, one in each protein segment. The FEP part of Mutator does not
handle this properly, mostly because I didn't expect this kind of
usage, but there is really no reason why it should not be supported.

There is another problem: the code as it is won't generate the correct
behavior for glycine (see "FEP caveats" section in the documentation).
More specifically, the alpha carbon atoms will probably not be tagged
as perturbed.

For now, the workaround is to take the generated PSF, update the
FEPfile "by hand" (quite fast using VMD - make atom selections and use
"set beta 1" or "set beta "-1"), and run alchemify, either standalone
or the version embedded in VMD as a Tcl command.

Jerome